Open from the Lock screen
You can see your recent notifications on the Lock screen by picking up your iPhone or waking up your iPad. You can also do these things from the Lock screen:
- Tap a single notification to open the app that it's from.
- Tap a group of notifications to view all recent notifications from that app.
- Swipe left over a notification to manage alerts for that app, view the notification or clear the notification.
- Touch and hold a notification* to view the notification and perform quick actions if the app offers them.
To show the content of notifications on the Lock screen without unlocking your device, go to Settings > Notifications > Show Previews and select Always.
* On iPhone SE (2nd generation), swipe left on the notification, then tap View to see the notification and perform any quick actions that the app supports.
Open from Notification Centre
The Notification Centre shows your notifications history, allowing you to scroll back and see what you've missed. There are two ways to see your alerts from the Notification Centre:
- From the Lock screen, swipe up from the middle of the screen.
- From any other screen, swipe down from the centre of the top of your screen.
To clear your notification history, touch and hold the X button and tap Clear All Notifications. Or tap the X button and tap Clear.
To manage your notifications from the Lock screen or Notification Centre:
- Swipe left over an alert or group of alerts.
- Tap Manage, then select one of these options:
- Deliver Quietly: These notifications appear in the Notification Centre, but don't show up on the Lock screen, play sounds, or show a banner or badge icon.
- Turn Off: This turns off all notifications for a specific app. To turn this back on, go to Settings > Notifications, select the app and tap Allow Notifications.
You can also tap Settings to change your alert styles or alert settings for a specific app.
Change alert styles
To add or change an alert style for a notification:
- Go to Settings > Notifications.
- Select an app under Notification Style.
- Choose a type of alert and banner style.
You can also turn sounds and badges on or off.
Change group notification settings
You can use group notifications or keep them separate.
- Go to Settings > Notifications.
- Select an app and tap Notification Grouping.
- Select one of these options:
- Automatic: Notifications from each app will appear in groups based on app alerts.
- By App: All notifications from each app will be grouped into single expandable alerts.
- Off: Notifications appear in the order they’ve been received, without grouping.
From here, you can also choose how to show notification previews for specific apps. For example, you set it so that notification previews never show up or show up all the time, even when your device is locked.
Set up location-based alerts
Some apps use your location to send you relevant alerts based on where you are. For example, you may get a reminder to call someone when you get to a specific place or when you leave to go to your next location.
If you don't want to receive these types of alert, you can turn them off. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, then tap an app to turn alerts on or off based on your location. Find out more about Location Services.
If you can't see notifications for a specific app
To get notifications, connect to a Wi-Fi or mobile network. If you still don't get notifications for a specific app, try these steps:
- Make sure the app supports notifications. Go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, and make sure Allow Notifications is on.
- If you have notifications turned on for an app but you're still not receiving alerts, you may not have Banners selected. Go to Settings > Notifications, select the app, then select Banners.
- Make sure you’re signed in to your Apple ID.
- Make sure Do Not Disturb is off.
- If you’ve recently installed an app or restored from a backup, open the app to start getting notifications.