We call this ‘mock’, purely because there are so many variations of this hearty soup from the different regions of Italy, that we have chosen ingredients that are easy to obtain in supermarkets and give the Italian flavour throughout the dish. A great recipe for vegetarians as well.
Serves: 2 x 700ml food pots
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: Approx 45 minutes
- 1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 1 medium sized carrot, chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 heaped tbsp tomato puree or paste
- 1tbsp sugar
- 2 thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped
- 1 large courgette, chopped
- 1 x 200g can cannellini beans
- 1 x 200g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 70g pasta shapes (the very tiny ones)
- Small handful basil leaves, shredded
- Using a large saucepan, tip in the olive oil, along with the carrots, celery and onions. Stir frequently so that the vegetables soften.
- Add garlic, tomato puree, sugar, courgettes and herbs, stir continuously over a medium heat until everything is softened and just beginning to brown slightly – do not burn.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer. Add beans, pasta, tinned tomatoes and the stock, give it a good stir and leave to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pasta then leave the pan until the pasta has cooked to al dente.
- When everything is ready, sprinkle in the torn basil, give the pan a good stir and portion into your food pots.
Calories 162, Fat 2g, Saturates 0g, Carbohydrates 30g, Sugar 8g, Fibre 6g, Protein 8g, Salt 0.54g