A great time-saving recipe for all the family and light on the washing up! Chicken and delicious earthy mushrooms are the focus of this dish, with gentle heat emanating from the paprika. We have added spinach and peppers as well for something green!
Serves: 2 x 500ml food pots
Preparation Time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1½tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 100g earthy mushrooms, such as Portobellini or field mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 50g chestnut mushrooms, sliced or quartered
- 350g skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced and cut in half
- 1 small green pepper, deseeded and sliced into small strips
- 1tbsp cornflour or plain white flour
- 1tsp tomato paste
- 1 beef stock cube, dissolved in 175ml water
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach
- 1tbsp sour cream or crème fraiche
- In a large pan (deep sided frying pan is good), use half the oil and cook the chicken, turning over until cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside. Put in the remaining olive oil, garlic, onion, mushrooms and green pepper. Gently fry over a medium heat until soft, and the mushrooms have taken on colour. If you need more oil, add another drizzle or two.
- Add the cornflour and paprika and stir the mix, allow to cook through for around 1 minute.
- Add the liquid (stock, Worcestershire sauce and tomato puree). Stir well and bring up to the boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook for around 5 minutes. Check chicken is cooked through.
- Toss in the spinach, stir and allow to wilt. Add sour cream or crème fraiche, stir to combine then turn off the heat. Ladle into your pots for a warming meal – maybe a side of bread!
Calories 391, Fat 11.5g, Saturates 6g, Carbohydrates 10.5g, Sugar 7g, Fibre 7.5g, Protein 7.5g, Salt 1.1g