A terrific stew for a cold night, particularly a night like Halloween! When you have finished trick or treating, bring the children home and give them a delicious bowl of this goulash – the smoked paprika and tomatoes give the soup a ‘bloody’ colour, just right for Halloween. Serve with some crusty bread.
Serves: 1 X 500ml food pot X 1 X 700ml food pot
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, halved and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 250g extra lean casserole beef, diced into small to medium pieces
- 2tsp caraway seeds
- 3tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 600ml beef stock
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 red or green pepper, diced
- Parsley, chopped
- Take a large pan and pour in the olive oil. Toss in the onion and garlic, and fry for 5 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Tip in the beef, increase the heat to high and brown it all over.
- Add the caraway and paprika so it blends with the meat, stir well, then add the tomatoes and stock. Cover and leave to cook gently for 30 minutes. Check to ensure it doesn’t dry out, if needs be add a little water.
- Add in the sweet potato and green pepper, cover and cook for 30 minutes more or until the meat is tender. Mix well, pour into your pots, then serve topped with the yoghurt and parsley if desired.
Calories 345, Fat 12g, saturates 4g, Carbohydrates 28g, Sugar 18g, Fibre 7g, Protein 25g, Salt 1g